Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Switcheroo






I spend a lot of time in our spare room/office lately. Its where I do the ironing and where the computer is and most importantly where we hang the jolly jumper!! Now I never really liked the curtains I hung in here... I had bought the material for a different project but it hadn't worked out so I just turned them into curtains and hung them in here. They look like old lady curtains... I loath them that much!!! Here they are to refresh your memory!




Now after having to stare at those curtains for awhile I decided it was time to do something about them. I hummed and haaaaed over what to do. The spare room has zero pattern to it... it has super pale green walls a brown suede duvet cover and a super huge brown desk...



I didn't want to bring in too much new colour or too much pattern for fear of making it look old ladyish like the old curtains. Then as I was sitting here this morning while Norah napped I had an idea! Remember this material from the curtains and pillows in the living room??

See the curtains here in this super old photo.



Here is a more recent photo.
WELL I realized a few weeks ago that I need to make new pillow covers for the ones in the living room because I didn't make them removable. And the pillow cases are dirty!! I'm not about to remove them to wash them and then have to resew them back on. Instead I plan on making removable ones this time in a different material. I have an awesome idea in mind for the new pillow covers too! Oops getting side tracked! Anyway, since I'm planning on making new pillow covers I thought hmmmmm maybe new curtains for the living room as well. That's when it dawned on me... why not move the living room curtains into the spare room since the windows are identical sizes!!


Low and behold success!!!





They look sooo much better than the ugly flowery blue ones!!! (ignore the packages behind the bed... that's the under padding for the new flooring and the carpet... we'll get to that eventually!)


SO now that I switched that up I needed new curtains for the living room... I decided I wanted something light and airy. Our living room is so dark and every morning part of my morning tasks is to open the curtains to let the light in. I decided I wanted a very light weight curtain but I didn't want people to be able to see in. Off to Ikea Norah and I went and found the perfect solution. Meet Matilda and Wilma. Matilda is a sheer curtain with embroidered strips and little knots while Wilma is just a plain sheer curtain. The 2 put together made a nice light airy curtain that you can't see through but that lets the light through. The best part was that Matilda was only $19.99 and Wilma was just $16.99. So for a wonderful $40 I had new curtains that I wouldn't have to sew!!!!! YEAH!!!!!


I got home and realized I wouldn't have to attach Matilda to Wilma because of the way the hanging tabs ran. They were in the right spots to just hang both on the same curtain rod... BONUS!!! Then all I had to do was hem the bottom. If you have ever bought Ikea curtains you know they come with hem tape so no sewing was required. While Norah napped I managed to hem all 4 curtains and get them hung. I couldn't be happier with the result!!! I had difficulties taking a picture... I can't figure out the settings on my camera. But you get the idea.

See how bright it is now... I couldn't even get a good picture of the curtains!! (Can you spot Norah sucking her feet???)

No comments:

Post a Comment