Monday, August 8, 2011

Small Things Make A BIG Difference

I have been searching for some type of towel rack solution for the basement bathroom. We had this amazing poster that was given to us by a friend ages ago that I realized would be PERFECT for down there. After we found a reasonable priced place to get it framed it looked fantastic on the wall but it looked odd because we hung it at the top knowing we wanted a towel rack below. I searched everywhere. I had an idea in mind but just couldn't find what I was looking for. They were all either too expensive or not long enough... we had a LONG picture and wall to fill up. Then when perusing the web the other day I found this cute little shelf/towel rack on www.goinghometoroost.com and LOVED IT!!!




So I thought hmmm I could make a shelf like that. While looking downstairs for something completely unrelated I found an old shelf of Ryans that he had originally hanging under the window in the basement. I honestly thought I'd told him to throw it out because we'd never use it... good thing he didn't listen to me!! haahaha!! Only problem was that it was the wrong colouring. Since the bathroom has a cream and black theme going this reddish brown just didn't work for us. BUT we were lucky that it had previously been stained but not sealed... so all I had to do was stain and seal it a nice black!





In 2 days (takes forever for a coat to dry) I had transformed it into this! I opted for inexpensive silver hooks from Home Depot as the places to hang the towels.



After a long process of trying to figure out where the studs were and a few wall plugs later we had this lovely piece hanging in the bathroom beneath the picture we both LOVE!!


Here is a better view of the picture.


Now I just have to get some cute little baskets for the shelf and fill them will soaps and creams!! I'm SO pleased with the result!!!
























No comments:

Post a Comment