Wednesday, March 21, 2012
I got a serious workout over the weekend!! Remember my church pew turned outdoor bench (post here), well I grabbed my sand paper and power sander and decided to take a stab at sanding her (yes its a girl... a VERY BIG girl) down. I had to sand her down and seal her as the indoor varnish was flaking off after one rain!! See the picture below you can see the flakes of finish. They honestly just fell off of the back of the bench when you wiped it with your hand! Not good.
I pulled out the power sander and immediately realized this was going to take a LOT longer than expected!!! The problem was that the bench has a curved back and curved sides... in other words the power sander was not going to do a very good job on those parts. So using the power of ... well ME... I went to work doing this the old fashion way, with a piece of sand paper and my arm. OH BOY that was a work out. Just to remind you this bench is close to 9 feet long! The only thing I had going for me was that the finish on the back of the bench was already falling off so that part was easy, the seat was the difficult part but even that wasn't too bad.
After 2 hours of sanding I had a beautifully fresh and solid unfinished bench... I also had claw hands, shaky arms and back spasms.... but I was happy! I forgot to take a picture of the bench completely sanded but below you can see the sanded bench with a bit of the new outdoor sealant on it on the right side.
I chose Behr's Premium Weatherproofing Wood Finish in Transparent colour as I didn't want to change the colour of the wood. After talking with the Home Depot guy this was my best/only option as I didn't want to buy a large can of the stuff and this was the only one they had that came in a small can. Also I didn't want a stain, I liked the look of the unfinished wood and wanted to keep it that way. This stuff was perfect! Plus it lasts 6 years outdoors before I have to put another coat of it on.
I opened the can and using a foam brush I started to spread a thin even layer on the bench, it went on very easily and I was pleased until this happened....
Yep my foam brush broke.... BUT it was my last foam brush and I was midway through putting in on the bench and I knew if I left and got a new brush you would forever see the line where I stopped... SO I proceeded with my broken foam brush (it was messier but worked).
About a half hour later this is what we I had! Now it doesn't look much different from before... BUT now its weatherproofed and won't fall apart on us!! Ryan did a second coat of finish on it over the weekend and we plan on doing one more coat just to make sure it lasts. But after the first coat it rained and the bench held up GREAT! The water beaded on it which is exactly what we wanted, much better than soaking into the wood!!!
Now I just need to make a cushion for the bench which I'm hoping to get to this weekend!
Monday, March 19, 2012
Thursday, March 15, 2012
My parents church decided to sell off the old church pews from the old church. My younger brother bought one, my older brother bought one and well we didn't want to be left out so we bought one too. The price was whatever you wanted to donate. So for a wonderful $100 we had this beautiful church pew.
So we put it there Saturday and it rained Monday... so Tuesday I came home to Ryan in a panic. I took one look at the pew and went AHHHHHHHHHHHH @#$*@&%@@#&. I knew we would have to put an outdoor sealant on it but I didn't think that after one small rain ALL of the old finish would come flaking off!! Yes FLAKING! To add to it the joints are all splitting apart!!! We have covered it in a tarp until we can deal with it on the weekend. The plan is to sand it down and put an outdoor stain/sealer on it. Its supposed to be GORGEOUS this weekend so I don't have a problem doing it!
The ultimate plan is to make pillows/cushions for the bench so it is a little more comfortable. I ran off to Fabricland on the weekend and picked up this pretty outdoor fabric to make cushions out of. It goes nicely with the brown cushions we have for the patio chairs too. I think I may have bought WAY too much material but at $4/metre I didn't mind. If I have extra I may recover our dining room chairs (that currently don't match at all... we have 4 with white vinyl seats and 3 with a flowery red/cream material that we got at an antique shop.... )
This weekend I plan to sand/seal the church pew, finish painting my chair from last weekend and bbq!!!! Stop on by for a bbq this weekend!!! :-)
Sunday, March 11, 2012
As you can tell I didn't care if I got paint on the material as I will be covering it with new material. I tried not to get too much or it would be crusty under the new material.
The front legs were the hardest as they had grooves and more grooves and even more deeper grooves. But I managed to get it everywhere. Now I just have to let it dry and then do a second coat of primer before painting it.
Oh this project put a BIG smile on my face today. I've been in a funk lately and I couldn't explain it... I realized I haven't had time for ME lately and doing projects like this make me happy and give me my ME time. Some people may think I'm crazy for using my precious ME time to do a project like this but this is what I love to do. I can relax when Norah goes to bed, but during the day when she's napping I like to get things done. (and I'm not talking chores... I'm talking doing things that I WANT to do!).
I'm so excited for this chair!!!! Hopefully I can get the second coat of primer on this afternoon then paint it next weekend... fingers crossed!!!!